Long Island Forecast
As of 4:00 PM EST on February 01, 2015
Sunday... Overcast with a chance of snow in the afternoon. High of 34F with a windchill as low as 16F. Winds from the West at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of snow 50%.
Sunday Night... Overcast with snow. Fog overnight. Low of 28F. Winds from the South at 5 to 20 mph. Chance of snow 100% with accumulations up to 4 in. possible.
Monday... Overcast with snow and rain, then ice pellets and rain in the afternoon. High of 39F with a windchill as low as 16F. Breezy. Winds from the NNW at 15 to 25 mph. Chance of precipitation 100% with accumulations up to 1 in. possible.
Winter Weather Advisory
Statement as of 4:01 PM EST on February 1, 2015
... Winter Weather Advisory in effect from 7 PM this evening to
6 PM EST Monday...
The National Weather Service in New York has issued a Winter
Weather Advisory for snow and ice... which is in effect from 7 PM
this evening to 6 PM EST Monday. The Winter Storm Watch is no
longer in effect.
* Locations... eastern and southwest Suffolk... and southern
* Hazard types... snow and freezing rain.
* Accumulations... snow accumulation of 1 to 4 inches... along with
a few hundredths of an inch of ice. Highest snow and ice amounts
will be across northern portions of Long Island.
* Timing... tonight through Monday. Brief heavy snow late tonight
into early Monday morning... changing to heavy rain... then
changing back to wintry mix in the late afternoon. Snowfall
range could be an inch higher or lower based on timing of
changeover in the morning.
* Winds... east winds 15 to 20 mph with gusts up to 35 mph in the
morning. Northwest winds of 15 to 25 mph with gusts up to 40 mph
* Temperatures... in the lower 30s.
* Visibilities... briefly one quarter mile or less at times late
tonight into early Monday morning.
* Snowfall rates... briefly 1 to 2 inches per hour late tonight
into early Monday morning.
* Impacts... hazardous travel due to reduced visibilities and snow
accumulations for the early Monday morning commute. Untreated
roadways will likely become icy for the Monday evening commute.
A Winter Weather Advisory means that periods of snow... sleet... or
freezing rain will cause travel difficulties. Be prepared for
slippery roads and limited visibilities... and use caution while
Latest Long Island Weather stories
Wed, 5 Aug 2009 14:19:32 +0000
Thu, 30 Jul 2009 11:21:21 +0000
Fri, 24 Jul 2009 15:06:17 +0000
Tue, 21 Jul 2009 13:53:41 +0000
Wed, 15 Jul 2009 00:26:11 +0000